The town of Stod is located 22km southwest of Plzeň in a shallow valley, where the Radbuza river flows. In the history Stod was first mentioned in 1235 when King Václav I. donated it to Premonstratensian convent in Chotěšov. Important date is May 14, 1315 when Stod was promoted a township by the King Jan Lucemburský and a market was allowed every Friday. In 1363 Stod gained from Charles IV. other laws and freedoms like law of inheritance, of judging (everything apart from heavy sins was judged) and law of using the town seal. After the thirty-yearlong war the whole area was germanised.
February 1, 1850 township Stod was promoted a town. 3021 people lived in Stod in 1921. In 1938 two thirds of the inhabitants total were of German citizenship. After the war 4000 Germans were displaced from Stod. Since 1961 Stod has been a part of the Plzeň-south district. Currently, Stod is a town with enlarged spheres of activities.
The church of St. Mary Magdalene was built on the place of former stone chapel by the provost Adam Haste in 1567. In 1841 reconstruction of the chapel in empire style according
to plans of A.Thurner began. In April 1843 the building was consecrated. The church of St.Mary Magdalene is a threenave building with an older tower above the west frontage.
The equipment of the interior is baroque to classicism origin. The building was reconstructed in 1992-1995. The old post office, house number 12, later Josef Schwan´s restaurant “U labutě“, also called Suvorovův dům, was built in 1747 and originally served for the post route Praha - Plzeň-Klenčí. It is a ground house with three gables. On one of the gables a relief sculpture of a two-headed eagle is located.
The second gable carries the year 1747, date of the construction financed by Jan Jiří Anton
Puntichan. A memorial board of a Russian general A.V. Suvorov, who stayed over night in 1799 here, is located in the facade. The building was reconstructed in 1997-1998.
Hospital chapel of St. Jan Nepomucký is the central building of six-sided ground with pyramidal roof with a sanctus bell from the beginnigs of the 18th century. The building was
probably built together with the hospital, founded in 1617 by the provost A.Rudrisch from Chotěšov. The building was reconstructed in 1990 and 1999.
The house number 161, which is the dominant of right bank part of the town, is a onefloor building from 1716 with a garret roof, in the frontage with a biaxal middle risalit.
From the west side a vaulted gate with the entrance to the yard adjoins the building. The house was in the property of an important native from Stod Jan Florián Hammerschmidt (1652 – 1735), writer and historian, who gave name to the house. This house is waiting for its reconstruction.
Grove of the Martyrs. In the curve of the road to Chotěšov a park is located, where a granite memorial with a bronze board draws the attention. It is a collective grave of 241 Nazi victims from the transport of the death, which stopped in Stod in April 1945. The memorial was unveiled September 25, 1960.
Currently, Křížový vrch belongs to Stod,the town that rented it for a long period to the Radbuza microregion. Křížový vrch is described in a different part of this brochure.