Dobřany belongs to the oldest historical settlements in Plze region. The name Dobřany originates in good soil and water around the place and people who lived on it. They were the
first inhabitants of the original settlement which started its existence before it was first mentioned in 1243, when the independent farmstead belonged to Záviš from Dobřany. His son Jan from Dřobany promoted former settlement before the year 1259 into a subject town with the trade centre of the area. The first industrious revolution influenced the development of the town in the second half of the 19th century.The town started to change quickly at that time and earlier an agricultural and crafts town became an industry centre and got a new face. There was a sufficient number of labourers for the industry surroundings, kaolin processing, mining and beer industry. After 1992 a new mini brewery "Blue Star (Modrá Hvězda)" was established, where yeasty not filtred lager is brewed according to to the Czech recipes using traditional materials: malt, hops and water.
Currently, 5800 inhabitants, including associated villages Šlovice (280) and Vodní Újezd (29), live here.
Baroque architecture in Dobřany has its roots in the second half of 17th century. In the times of Andreas Fabricius and Dominik Peterka,who were provosts of the convent in Chotěšov, the town was rebuilt in the baroque style. As a result of following great fires in 1775 and 1801 the baroque houses lost its character with the exception of some town houses and both churches, which were left unharmed by the fire. In 1958 after the Law of Cultural Monuments in SR was issued, Central list of cultural Sigths was processed by the National Institute of Monument Preservation. So far, 10 sights from Dobřany were registered there and the area of historical centre of the town was claimed a monument zone on 10.9. 1992.
A very interesting historical monument is the church of St.Vitus, which was first mentioned in 1259. In the times of the Hussites it was plundered, in 1620 it burnt down and then it decayed. Today´s church is a newer building, whose foundation stone was laid on the nameday of St.Vitus in 1727. It is a baroque gem and belongs to the most interesting baroque buildings in Bohemia and to the top works of Jakub Auguston jr., an architect from Plzeň.
Another historical sight is the parish church of St.Nicolaus, which is connected with the year 1259. Originally a gothic church was in 1652 rebuilt. Between 1765-1758 the church was enlarged and, in fact, it was rebuilt in baroque style, so that only side walls were left from the original building and supports and ceilings of the profiled cavet of the chancel under the window.
Recorded in cultural sights is also a stone bridge over the Radbuza river. The origin of the
bridge is not very clear. We are informed about it from the written resources from the half of
the 16th century. In 1794 a new one was built. It was 50m long with three spans and of late
gothic period and it has kept its shape up to now. In the Baroque period the bridge underwent a general reconstruction and a statue of St.Jan Nepomucký was placed there. The last reconstruction was carried out between 1993 and 1994.