The area of the microregion has been inhabited in the Early Stone Age. To the most interesting archeological sites belongs e.g. Hradec u Stoda, Dobřany, Chotěšov or Čelákovy. A more distinct development of the settlements took place first in the Middle Age. It was connected mainly with the establishment of the Premonstratensian Convent in Chotěšov at the beginning of the 13th century. The most importat role in the development of the area had the church authorities. The situation changed first in the times of Josef II. reforms. In 1781 he issued a law which closed down a lot of monasteries, including the one in Chotěšov. The property of the Convent was transferred to a so called religious fond. The count Thurn-Taxis bought the Chotěšov domain from the fond in 1822 and kept it up to the land reform in 1925.
Over the centuries the land under Křížový vrch became the scene of dramatical events, which were of no good for local people. In the times of Hussites wars the army of Žižka crossed this land and conquered and plundered Chotěšov Convent in 1421, same as The Commander Mansfeld´s troops two centuries later.
The land did not escape following wars, such as the Seven-Year-long war in the second half of the 18th century or The Second World War, when Dobřany was bombed in 1943. After The Second World War the area was affected by German inhabitants displacement and by collectivization. The traditional character of towns and villages was disturbed partly by disharmonical reconstruction of historical buildings and partly by modern buildings. However, neither natural treasures were saved this blow as agricultural and mining activities followed.
The changes after 1989 led to mining depression, which had negative impact on the number of job positions in the region. On the other hand, some other economic activities revived. The reconstruction of monuments and natural heritage care grew on importance.